May 19

Swamp Lake – Wallowa Mountains

One of my favorite vacations was at Swamp Lake in the Wallowa mountains in Eastern Oregon.  The name of the lake sounds kinda yucky but it was actually really awesome.  There was lots of giant mud pies that we played in for hours.  One time my sister totally sank into the mud and lost her Croc.  We rode horses up to and they dropped us off and left.  We stayed for 4 nights and explored.  There was an island in the middle of the lake that we swam to.  The water was very cold and it took our breath away.  Fortunately our little dog Oscar swam all the way across the lake to the island.  My dad, brother and I climbed a peak nearby.  We could look down at the lake and it was really cool.  We found a stream and raced pistachio shells down it for a competition.  I won.  We also found logs and paddles on them for boats out on the lake.  We hiked back out on the last day and ate pizza that never tasted so good in our lives.

IMG_0911 IMG_0930 IMG_0958 IMG_0849 IMG_1063 IMG_1050

Posted May 19, 2016 by lucast15 in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “Swamp Lake – Wallowa Mountains

1. fordycej

Dear Lucas,
    I’ve never been to Swamp Lake in the Wallowa mountains. I’m happy that you told us about it. It sounds fun to play in giant mud pies. I bet your sister didn’t like losing her croc in the mud! I also liked the word choice in this post like “the water was very cold and it took our breath away”. It sounds freezing! I think your pizza dinner sounds delicious. Do you think food tastes better when you are out hiking and camping?

Happy trails,
    Mrs. Fordyce

Reply